23 September 2016

September 23rd 2016

I have been at Bertrun E. Glavin now for about a month. I have felt an immediate sense of community within the school. I teach all day Wednesdays to serve as my practicum placement and I volunteer with the Breakfast Program on Friday mornings and continue to teach until lunch time.

I had the privilege of sitting in on a Reading Recovery meeting with both grade one teachers, the reading recovery instructor, the head of resource, and the principal. I learned the critical interview process of determining which students needed further development in terms of their reading and literacy skills. Sixteen students were interviewed for the four spots that have been financially funded by the government.

To remain unbiased, the students names were left out and substituted with a letter. We determined the four students that qualify for the program and reviewed the remaining students that did not qualify. The grade one teachers understood which students still need added help within the classroom.

This experience was rewarding and I felt a sense of community within the staff, they asked my opinion given the statistics of the students. This was one of my first encounters of being treated as an equal staff member with an opinion of value and merit.

http://readingrecovery.org

** note: I will be taking part in the Reading Recovery sessions with the instructor and gaining a better understanding of how student learn literacy skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment