First day of school jitters for the students and myself! I arrived at the school about an hour before the students were called to arrive. 8:40am rolled in quickly and we marched outside to meet the new students. A few of our students were feeling quite nervous and had their parents join the classroom for the first while. After the tears had concluded, we introduced the boys and girls to the classroom, their desks, their hooks, and their teachers!
Upon apprehension, I realized that I do enjoy grade one students. I anticipated feeling exhausted by their needs and frustrated by their lack of specialized curriculum however, I found myself enjoying their schedule and the concepts that were introduced. During my second year of practicum, I was placed at Donwood Elementary School in a grade five classroom with high risk demand students. My third year of education, I was placed at Arthur Day Middle School for practicum placement in a variety of grade seven and eight classes. B. E. Glavin will enable me to learn children psychology and different facets of elementary education.
We read a story entitled, Happy. The story includes pictures of fish and detailed characteristics of how the fish were feeling. We had the students draw their own fish and ask them to write down how they felt on the first day of school (happy, excited, nervous, scared, or tired). The children received "jitter juice" (7-Up and Grape Juice) as a reward for excellent listening and the juice was ordered to cure the first grade 'jitters'! (Photos to come!!!!!)
I came home after the first day of school feeling incredibly exhausted but bursting with stories to share of my first day. My family sat together around the dinner table and we traded stories and shared many laughs.
No comments:
Post a Comment